Director of Music
Saint Margaret Mary Catholic Church
111 S. Hubbard Street
Algonquin, IL 60102
St. Margaret Mary Church in Algonquin, IL is a large (3,200 families), active community seeking a full-time Director of Music. The music director is an enthusiastic, faith-filled person who is responsible for all areas of music ministry for the English language masses and celebrations. The ideal candidate will become an integral member of the staff; a servant leader who fosters faith, prayer, celebration, and collaboration with fellow staff members and volunteers. Through understanding of the musical, liturgical, and pastoral judgements that must be made in selecting music for liturgy, the Director of Music will foster the full, conscious, and active participation of the assembly.
- Selecting and directing music for all English Language parish liturgical services.
- Directing and accompanying on piano all music ministers (adult choirs, small ensembles, cantors, youth choir, instrumentalists, funeral choir, and children’s choirs) for liturgies, rehearsals, and special occasions.
- Recruiting and training of adult and youth choir members, instrumentalists, and cantors; assisting parishioners in planning music for weddings and funerals, and playing for wedding and funeral liturgies.
- Collaborating with Youth Ministry and Religious Education for Confirmation and First Communion celebrations.
- Working closely with Pastor and Polish Music Ministry to plan and execute multi-cultural liturgies (1-2 a year).
- Maintaining and updating music library, instruments, and sound system.
- Developing the music budget and operating within the budget.
- Recruiting and hiring substitute pianists (with Pastor’s approval).
- Collaborative member of parish staff.
- Attending monthly staff and Liturgy Commission meetings; and working closely with the parish liturgist.
Practicing Roman Catholic. Thorough knowledge, training, and experience in Roman Catholic Liturgies. Experienced in choral conducting, teaching, and sight reading. Proficient on keyboard; vocal abilities, and able to lead assembly with piano and voice. Adept at playing a variety of musical styles (classical, traditional hymns, chant, contemporary, gospel, etc.). Flexible and patient; able to work with a wide range of musical skill levels and volunteer personalities. Excellent organizational and communication skills to execute music planning, scheduling, communication with staff and volunteers. Working knowledge of computer software (Microsoft Office or Google Docs) and email systems. Working knowledge of sound systems and digital mixing software. Minimum education level of Bachelor’s degree is preferred but not required with proven work experience.
Full time position with benefits. Salary commensurate with experience.
Letter of Application and resume should be emailed to: email@example.com