At St. Margaret Mary, ongoing prayer, education and communication are necessary to foster and strengthen the stewardship conversion process. This formation process should importantly seek to weave the language and practice of stewardship into the very fabric of the parish.
SHARE – “For if we have received the love which restores meaning to our lives, how can we fail to share that love with others?” The Joy of the Gospel.
Please prayerfully consider how you can serve in our great Parish Ministries here at St. Margaret Mary. The following is a PDF listing of all current ministries and primary contact information. Feel free to reach out to the Ministry heads for more information on how to join.
The following are the Formation Ministries at St. Margaret Mary Parish…
- Altar Server: Serve at Mass and other liturgical celebrations. Boys and girls, 5th Grade or older. Monthly meetings and training are provided.
- Baptismal Preparation:
- Boy Scouts & Cub Scouts: The BSA provides a program for young people that builds character, trains them in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and develops personal fitness.
- Catholics Returning Home: We are a ministry of love and compassion through which team members experience God’s love in a unique way by witnessing the Holy Spirit working through themselves, other team members and those returning to the Church. Little can compare to joining in the feelings of the father of the prodigal son “… let us celebrate with a feast, because this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found. “~Luke 15: 23-24
- Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist (EME): Now that we are finally allowed to open up St. Margaret Mary Church to larger numbers and are able to reduce some of the restrictions that were placed on us, we need to prepare for the time when we can resume having parishioners fully participate in our Liturgical Ministries. These ministries include Altar Servers, Arts & Environment, Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist (EME), Greeters, Mass Media Ministry, Music Ministry (Choirs & instrumentalists), Lectors, Sacristans & Marthas, Ushers, and the Visitation Ministry. If you are currently a member of one of these ministries and are willing to continue serving or have decided to no longer serve, or if you would like to join one or more of these ministries, please reach out to one of the Coordinators listed below, or contact the Parish Office at (847) 658-7625 or our Liturgist, Deacon Bob Armstrong (firstname.lastname@example.org). Training will be provided.
- Confirmation Preparation: Confirmation preparation at St. Margaret Mary is a one-year, eight-session process that begins in September and ends with Confirmation in the spring. In the Diocese of Rockford, teens may be confirmed as early as 9th grade. If you are over 18 and out of high school, and would like to be confirmed in the Catholic Church, please contact the parish office about confirmation preparation for adults.
- Culture of Life: We have a three-fold mission: (1) education about the sanctity of all human life from conception until natural death, (2) financial support for crisis pregnancy centers, (3) social action to promote the worth and dignity of each human life. Annual opportunities assist with fostering the pro-life message: Mother’s Day flower sale, Father’s Day gifts, pro-life booth at the McHenry County fair, legislative alerts and contacts, and baby bottle return. The Life-Chain is on the first Sunday in October.
- Faith Sharing Groups: Various men’s and women’s faith sharing groups gather weekly. The format varies with each group, which may focus on: the Mass readings of the week and God moments, a book study, or a bible study. There is a group for everyone! Together we grow in our Catholic faith on the road to holiness.
- Financial Peace University: This life-changing class taught by Dave Ramsey and the FPU teaching team on video, and coordinated at St. Margaret Mary, will help you achieve your financial goals by showing you how to eliminate debt, save for the future, and live like never before so you can give like never before.
- Finding God Together: Jesus said, “Let the children come to me…for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” Parents, grandparents or guardians are given the special task to introduce the children to Jesus and teach them His ways. Sometimes there are circumstances in life that prevent us from introducing God to our children at an early age. Don’t worry! Jesus is here for you. This program helps the children to know God and to grow closer to Jesus through His words, examples, and prayers. This class is geared towards children in 3rd – 5th grade who seek the sacrament of Baptism and/or First Holy Communion. A parent is required to accompany their child and attend the parent program.
- Gather: The Family Faith Formation program is for all students who do not attend Catholic school. All students’ grades Pre-school through High School. Must participate with at least one parent. Catholic school families are welcome to participate.
- Girl Scouts: Girl Scouts offers every girl a chance to do something amazing. Our Mission: Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.
- Joyful Stewards: The goal of Stewardship as a Way of Life is to become a holy people. To this end, our meetings, prayer and ministry work stem from a heart of gratitude to God, especially for the gift of salvation, and we can’t thank Him enough. Our works include: regular communication with all parish ministry coordinators, the Hour of Power, Movie and Pizza with the Friars, Faith On Fire, weekly bulletin articles on stewardship, and domestic pilgrimages. We also manage the annual parish renewal, and support the Bishop’s Diocesan Appeal. Come and join us on the journey!
- Lectors: “The hearts of the faithful who gather on the Lord’s Day are nourished both by his Word and by the bread of eternal life,” Pope Francis.
Lectors support an important part of the celebration of the liturgy, the Word of God. This ministry is for individuals who pray the holy Scripture, and wish to share by proclamation the fruits of their prayer and reflection. Proclaimers may choose the Mass they prefer to attend, and are scheduled accordingly. (May be once a month or every other month). Training and materials are provided.
- Light of the World (LOTW): Involvement begins with attending a LOTW onsite weekend retreat. Participation can then continue in small groups by sharing faith, doing works, and possibly assisting with the next LOTW retreat.
- Men’s Kairos – Prison:
- Marriage Encounter: The largest pro-marriage organization in the world which promotes weekend experiences for couples who want to make their good marriage even better. “My beloved is mine, and I am his.” Song of Solomon 2:16
- Music Groups: Singers and instrumentalists of all ages and skill levels welcome. Singers are not required to read music but must be able to carry a tune. Short audition required for musicians and singers. Weekly rehearsals and masses from September through June. Commitment increases during Christmas and Easter Seasons. Cantors must also participate in Adult Choir.
- Adult Choir
- Funeral Choir (as needed)
- Youth Choir (6-12th grade)
- Children’s Choir (K-5th grade)
- Parish Bible Study:
- Polish Altar Servers:
- Polish Lectors:
- Polish Youth Ministry:
- RCIA: Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA). A program to welcome adults who wish to explore the Catholic faith. Those who choose may prepare to receive the Sacraments of Initiation; Baptism, Communion, and Confirmation. This program is for those who have not been raised in the Catholic faith, including the unbaptized, baptized Protestant, or baptized Catholic.
- That Man Is You (TMIY): An interactive, multimedia men’s leadership program focused on the development of men in the modern world. It combines the best research from science with the teachings of the Catholic faith and the wisdom of the saints to develop the vision of authentic men capable of transforming themselves, their families and greater society. That Man is You welcomes large numbers of men of all ages, including younger men still actively parenting, and then transforming their spiritual lives.
- Totus Tuus: Totus tuus was Saint John Paul II’s apostolic motto. It is a Latin phrase meaning “totally yours” and expressed his personal consecration to Mary. The program is held in the summer. Seminarians and college young adults offer programs centering on the Theology of the Body, and our Catholic faith principles. It is especially geared to youth 5th grade through high school.
- Vacation Bible School: VBS is for kids with prior preschool experience, age 3 to children who completed 5th grade during the past school year. Runs from 9:00 AM to noon one week in June. For more information, contact the Religious Education office.
- Vocations Chalice: VBS is for kids with prior preschool experience, age 3 to children who completed 5th grade during the past school year. Runs from 9:00 AM to noon one week in June. For more information, contact the Religious Education office.
- Youth and Young Adult: We are the middle, high school, and young adult community at St. Margaret Mary. In this era of new evangelization, we bring Christ to young people and reveal the truth, goodness, and beauty of the church. Please visit our web site at smmym.org.