Love in Action
At St. Margaret Mary, we seek to be a faith community within which parishioners are invited and have the opportunity to serve and be served, giving, receiving and sharing their God-given giftedness. It is through the pillar of service at the parish or broader community level that a Christian steward is provided the opportunity to respond, in action, to his/her call to discipleship individually and/or collectively.
Stewardship is the grateful response of a Christian disciple who recognizes and receives God’s gift and shares these gifts in love of God and neighbor. Catholic Diocese of Wichita
Please prayerfully consider how you can serve in our great Parish Ministries here at St. Margaret Mary. The following is a PDF listing of all current ministries and primary contact information. Feel free to reach out to the Ministry heads for more information on how to join.
The following are the Service Ministries at St. Margaret Mary Parish…
- Adopt A Plot: If you enjoy gardening, then the “Adopt a Flower Bed” is for you! Your handiwork helps to beautify the parish grounds from spring to fall. There are no meetings, only a commitment to care for one of the flower beds around the church buildings or in the parking lot. All flowers, shrubs, plants, trees, and weeds bless the Lord! And you will be blessed in caring for them and helping to make our parish grounds beautiful.
- Creative Arts and Web Ministry: Evangelization through a newer medium… Basic computer skills (web, software program usage) and a desire to make a positive impact in Christ’s Church is all that’s required. We are seeking all who will improve and/or help maintain our ever-growing site. If you have those skills, we could use your help.
- Easter Church Cleaning: Clean and beautify the Church in preparation for the Easter Triduum.
- Finance Council: This talented group oversees the parish budget and financial reporting and works in tandem with our Pastor and Business Manager.
- Grief Support Group: You are not alone. People who are grieving often find that nobody understands what their loss feels like. They find that friends and family (with good intentions), often want them to get past their grief, and get on with their life. It helps to share about your loss. We provide a safe place where people who are grieving can come, listen, and share their stories.
- Homeless Outreach: Two monthly teams’ shop, cook, deliver, and serve breakfast for the area Homeless in Elgin, once a month, on different Mondays, alongside other ecumenical groups. “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat.” Matthew 25:35
- Knights of Columbus: The Knights of Columbus was established in 1882 so that Catholic men could support the Catholic Church, provide financial support to protect their families, and engage in works of charity to benefit the less fortunate. From helping children in need to providing wheelchairs for the physically disabled to support for the intellectually handicapped. We help stock food banks, and offer top-rate, affordable life insurance to its members. The Knights are at the service of our local communities, and the needy around the world.
- Liturgical Publications: Parish Bulletins: Are you are interested in an opportunity to advertise your business or promote your company’s special offers in a trusted resource parish family may utilize every day? Your participation is a generous gift to our parish. You may contact Michelle Arden at 312-953-0881.
- Mail Team:
- Meals On Wheels: Do you have 1-2 hours to spare, to deliver a “dish of happiness” to individuals in our community in need of a meal? Deliveries take from 1 to 1 1/2 hours during the day, Monday thru Friday, starting at 10:30 a.m. Our parish delivers meals in January, September and May and we are looking for additional drivers. ” Many hands make for light work,” to provide a meal. For years, St. Margaret Mary parishioners have come together to assist the Meals On Wheels program, in delivering meals to senior citizens in the Algonquin area. Delivering meals is a very rewarding experience and is recommended for anyone who wants to be part of a unique volunteer opportunity.
- Parish Health: This team is comprised various health professionals. We offer blood pressure screenings and health education after the Masses once a month in the Nazareth Room. We assist with any medical emergencies that occur during Mass or other gatherings. We also monitor the AED in the Church to ensure that it is in working order. We also sponsor a CPR refresher course for parish staff and ushers. We welcome any new members.
- Prayer Shawls: We knit, crochet, and create hand crafts together to provide a hand-made shawl to those in need of healing, comfort or to celebrate a joyous occasion. Made with prayer and given with compassion or joy, prayer shawls are a gift of love, friendship and caring. Based on compassion and caring for others as well as the love of fiber arts. We meet Wednesday mornings from 10:00 – 11:00 in the lower level of the Activity Room at Eastgate Manor. The 3rd Monday of the month from 7:00-8:30 PM in Room 6 of the Ministry Center.
- Resale Shop: We accept clean, gently used (no rips, tears, broken zippers, or missing buttons, please) infant through adult clothing. The Resale Shop is open Tuesday – Friday, 10 AM–3 PM; Saturdays 10 AM–1 PM; and the 2nd Sunday of the month 10 AM–1 PM.
- Rosary Makers: The rosary makers meet in the Ministry Center. If you have a disability, and would like to participate, we will assist you. The rosaries are given to hospitals, charities, our church and school. You may work at your own pace and order as many inexpensive packages of beads as you need.
- Sacristan / Martha’s: Behind-the-scenes, the Sacristans prepare the church and altar for weekend and holy day Masses
The Martha’s help keep the church clean. Wash and iron altar and Communion linens. Training is provided. Weekly or less often commitment based on number of available ministers. Approximately twice-a-month commitment.
- Shamrock Shave: In the last eight years, the St. Margaret Mary Shamrock Shave, through the generous support of our shavee pledges, raised over $300,000 for needy families in our community and those suffering from cancer. Donations are given to worthy causes each year.
- Social Outreach: Parish family volunteers who provide assistance to those needing help within the surrounding community. This includes providing school supplies for children, organizing the parish Christmas Giving Tree which provides gifts to the elderly, for families and single mothers that are experiencing financial hardships as well as providing clothing various homeless shelters. In the spirit of Jesus’s love and compassion all peoples are assisted without reservation.
- Society St. Vincent dePaul: Inspired by Gospel values, the Society of St. Vincent DePaul leads women and men to grow spiritually by offering person-to-person, in-home service to those who are in need in the Algonquin and LITH area.
Its members, called Vincentians, reflect the whole family of God. Prayer, reflection, and mutually supportive gatherings nourish us.
The society collaborates with other social and charitable organizations. We make no distinction in those we serve because in them, Vincentians see the Face of Christ in every Friend in Need.